- Mellor, D., Patterson-Kane, E. G & Stafford, K. J. (2009). The Sciences of Animal Welfare. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Baumans, V., Coke, C., Green, J., Moreau, E., Morton, D., Patterson-Kane, E. Reinhardt, A., Reinhardt, V. & Van Loo, P. [ed.s] (2007). Making Life Easier for Animals in Research Labs. Animal Welfare Institute.
- Patterson-Kane, E. G. (2017). Canine Tail Docking. Independent Report Prepared for the Ministry for Primary Industries ISBN No: 978-1-77665-633-2 (online) July 2017
- American Veterinary Medical Association. (2013). AVMA guidelines for the euthanasia of animals: 2013 edition.
- Arkow, P., Boyden, P., & Patterson-Kane, E. (2011). Practical guidance for the effective response by veterinarians to suspected animal cruelty, abuse, and neglect. American Veterinary Medical Association, Schaumburg.
ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS: REFEREED
- Patterson-Kane, E., & Johnson, C. (2017). A risk and asset for animal-based agriculture. The Business of Farm Animal Welfare. Amos, N., & Sullivan, R. (Eds.) Routledge.
- Lord, L. K., Millman, S. T., Carbone, L., Cook, N., Fisher, A., McKeegan, D., ... & Siegford, J. (2017). A model curriculum for the study of animal welfare in colleges and schools of veterinary medicine. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 250(6), 632-640.
- Knesl, O., Hart, B. L., Fine, A. H., Cooper, L., Patterson-Kane, E., Houlihan, K. E., & Anthony, R. (2017). Veterinarians and Humane Endings: when is it the right time to euthanize a companion animal? Frontiers in Veterinary Science, 4.
- Emily Patterson-Kane: Trying to Make Regulation Something More Than Just a Burden Excellence Beyond Compliance: Enhancing Animal Welfare Through the Constructive Use of the Animal Welfare Act, edited by James F. Gesualdi. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science 10/2015; 19(1). DOI:10.1080/10888705.2015.1075886
- Trembath, F., & Patterson-Kane, E. G. The Effect of Human-Animal Interaction on Human Cardiovascular Health. HABRI Central Brief: https://habricentral.org/resources/51271/download/CardioBrief20150728.pdf
- Emily Patterson-Kane: The state of animal ethics. Lab Animal 05/2013; 42(6). DOI:10.1038/laban.285
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. & Golab, G. (2013) Chapter 1 – History, Philosophies, and Concepts of Animal Welfare. Laboratory Animal Welfare: A volume in American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine. Academic Press.
- Elmore, M.R.P., Garner, J.P., Johnson, A.P., Kirkden, R.D., Patterson-Kane, E.G. Richert, B.T., Pajor, E.A. (2012). Differing results for motivation tests and measures of resource use: The value of environmental enrichment to gestating sows housed in stalls. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 141, 9-19
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. & Piper, H. (2012) Animal Abuse and Cruelty. In The Oxford Handbook of Evolutionary Perspectives on Violence, Homicide, and War. Oxford University Press.
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. (2012) The Causes of Violence towards Animals: A Review In Handbook on the Psychology of Violence, Hugh R. Cunningham and Wade F. Berry [eds], Nova Publishing: Hauppauge, New York.
- Patterson-Kane, E., Kirkden R. & Pajor, E. (2011). Measuring Motivation in Swine: The Food-Metric Scale. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science. 3, 175-186.
- Macri, A. & Patterson-Kane, E. (2011). Behavioural analysis of solitary versus socially housed snow leopards (Panthera uncia), with the provision of simulated social contact. Applied Animal Behavior Science. 130, 115-123.
- Johnson, C.L., Patterson-Kane, E., Lamison, A. & Noyes, H.L. (2011). Elements of and factors important in veterinary hospice. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 238, 148-150.
- Patterson-Kane, E. (2010). Thinking outside our cages. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science. 13, 96-99.
- Patterson-Kane, E. G. & Piper, H. (2009). Animal abuse as a sentinel for human violence: a critique. The Journal of Social Issues. 65, 589-614.
- Patterson-Kane, E., Pittman, M. & Pajor, E. (2008). Operant animal welfare: productive approaches and persistent difficulties. Animal Welfare. 17, 139-148.
- Patterson-Kane, E. G. & Farnworth, M. (2006). Noise exposure, music and animals in the laboratory: a commentary based on laboratory animal refinement and enrichment forum (LAREF) discussions—invited commentary. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science. 9, 327-332.
- Patterson-Kane, E. G. (2007). Cattle mutilation. Encyclopedia of Human-Animal Relationships. Westport: Greenwood Press.
- Patterson-Kane, E. G. (2007). Animals and music. Encyclopedia of Human-Animal Relationships. Westport: Greenwood Press.
- Patterson-Kane, E. G. (2007). Human-animal bonds in the laboratory. Encyclopedia of Human-Animal Relationships. Westport: Greenwood Press.
- Johnson, S.R., Patterson-Kane, E.G., Niel, L. (2004). Foraging enrichment for laboratory rats. Animal Welfare 13, 305-312
- Patterson-Kane, E.G., Hunt, M., Harper, D. (2004). Rat's demand for group size. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science. 7, 267-272
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. (2004). Enrichment for laboratory caging for rats: a review. Animal Welfare. 13 (Suppl S), S209 – 214.
- Nelson, K., Patterson-Kane, E.G. & Love J. (2003) Using animal preference to develop enriched caging for rats. Animal Technology and Welfare. 2, 85-88.
- Olsson, I.A.S., Nevison, C.M., Patterson-Kane, E.G., Sherwin, C.M., van de Weerd, H.A. & Wurbel, H. (2003). Understanding behaviour: the relevance of ethological approaches in laboratory animal science. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 81, 245-264.
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. (2003) Shelter enrichment for rats. Contemporary Topics. 42/2, 40-42.
- Ras, T., van de Ven, M., Patterson-Kane, E.G. & Nelson, K. (2002) Rats Preferences for Corn Based Bedding and Nesting Materials. Laboratory Animals, 36, 1-6.
- Patterson-Kane, E. G. (2002). Cage size preferences of laboratory rats. Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science. 5, 63-72.
- Patterson-Kane, E.G., Hunt, M., Harper, D. (2002). Rats demand social contact. Animal Welfare. 11, 327-332
- Patterson-Kane, E. G. (2001). Environmental enrichment for laboratory rats: a review. Animal Technology. 52, 77-84.
- Patterson-Kane, E. G., Harper, & D. Hunt, M. (2001). The cage preference of laboratory rats. Laboratory Animals. 35, 74-79.
- Patterson-Kane, E. G., Harper, & D. Hunt, M. (1999). Assessing and enriching the cage environment of laboratory rats. ANZCCART Humane Science News 12(1), 7.
- Patterson-Kane, E. G., Hunt, M. & Harper, D. (1999). Behavioural indexes of poor welfare in laboratory rats. The Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science, 2(2). 97-110.
- Patterson-Kane E. G. (1999). Demanding an Enriched Environment. The Shape of Enrichment. 3.
- Patterson-Kane, E. G., Nicol, C. J., Foster, T. M. & Temple, W. (1997). Limited perception of video images by domestic hens. Animal Behaviour. 53, 951-964.
Contributor to the Welfare Pulse and the Enrichment Record (individual articles not listed)
Online content appearing on Dogster, Red Cat Media, Huffington Post, and XO Jane.
- Panel Member for the discussions published as: (2004). Stereotypical Behavior: A LAREF Discussion. Laboratory Primate Newsletter, 43/4.
- Reinhart, V. (2003). Personnel/Animal Relationships: Affectionate or Neutral? A Discussion. The Laboratory Primate Newsletter, 42/1, 14Patterson-Kane, E. G.,
- Harris M. & Patterson-Kane E. (2003). Can we and should we attempt to integrate welfare indices? [Editorial Material] Animal Welfare, 12, 710-711.
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. & Thompson, K. (2002). Eine kleine ratmusik: a twist in the tale of the Mozart effect. The Rat and Mouse Fancy Report. 2, 9-10.
- Patterson-Kane, E. G. (2002). Rats in research. Animal Welfare Institute Quarterly. 51, 9.
- Hunt, M. & Harper, D. (1997). Just a rat in a gilded cage. New Zealand Science Monthly. 9, 10-11.
PUBLISHED CONFERENCE PAPERS AND ABSTRACTS
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. (2001) Priorities for the environmental enrichment of laboratory rats. Proceedings of the 35th International Congress of the ISAE, University of California, Davis, August 4-9, 2002. p. 82. (Abstract)
- Patterson-Kane, E. G., van de Ven, M., Ras, T. (2001). Enrichment of laboratory rat caging. 52nd AALAS National Meeting, October 21-25, 2001, Baltimore, Official Program , p. 106 (Abstract). Also published in Contemporary Topics in Laboratory Animal Science, 40(4), 94-95, 2001.
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. (1998). Themes Arising from Enrichment Research with Laboratory Rats. 5th Environmental Enrichment Conference. (Paper)
- Patterson-Kane, E.G., (1998). Cage preference in rats. The 5th National Postgraduate Conference, the role of postgraduate research in the 21st century: the critic and conscience of society? 4-6th December, Victoria University of Wellington. (Abstract)
SELECTED INVITED PRESENTATIONS
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. (2016). Rat Welfare. ASLAP Symposium, Charlotte, NC. – upcoming November 1st 2016.
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. (2012). Beyond environmental enrichment--providing good environments for experimental animals. Bioconference Live, February 12.
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. (2011). Sensitivity of animals and application of the Three Rs (presented by Marylin Brown) 8th World Congress on Alternatives and Animal Use in the Life Sciences. August 22.
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. (2011). Animal Abuse and Cruelty: An Evolutionary Perspective. The annual meeting of the International Society for Applied Ethology, July 31 - August 4
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. (2011). Horizons of Enrichment: the History, Accomplishments and Aspirations of Environmental Enrichment. Third Annual MSMR Enrichment Symposium "All Creatures Great and Small ...Animal Enrichment in a Laboratory Environment", April 14
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. January 20th, 2011: Animal Law Committee of the Chicago Bar Association--Animal Abuse, Mandatory Reporting and the Veterinarian.
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. October 16th, 2010: KVMA Fall Conference--Animal Welfare, Animal Rights, and the Role of the Veterinary Profession.
- Patterson-Kane, E. G, & Panepinto, L. (2006). Environmental Enrichment: Swine (break out session). The Humane Care and Use of Agricultural Animals in Research, The Scientists Center for Animal Welfare, The Federation of Animal Science Societies Two-Day Conference, May 22-23, 2006, in St. Louis, MO.
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. (2004). Implementing Enrichment . Laboratory Animal Welfare. Scottish Centre for Animal Welfare Science meeting, 4th May 2004.
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. (2002). Laboratory rat enrichment: preference and demand data. CALAS*ACSAL, the Ethical Imperative, the Science of Refinement, West Edmonton Mall, Fantasyland Hotel, Edmonton, Alberta, June 22 to 25, 2002. p.25. (Abstract)
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. (2001). The Case of Laboratory Rat Housing - Historical Trends and the Role of Research in Cage Design. UNBC NRES Research Colloquium, January 26th, 2001.
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. & Neil, L. (2000). The Animal Welfare Program. Animal Care Technicians Committee on Animal Care Forum, Thursday, November 30, 2000.
- Patterson-Kane, E.G. (2000). Prince George SPCA AGM Keynote Speaker